Back to Top

A Little Chat About Feminism

7.12.16


Helloooo! Today I'm going to be talking about a somewhat controversial topic. If you haven't guessed from the title, it's feminism. By no means am I an expert, and I know some people will read this and disagree with everything I have to say and I can't stop that. What I can do is explain what I know and believe as best I can. Feminism is such a broad topic and to attempt to write down everything would literally take days! Also, I'd like to add I'll be speaking in terms of cis males and females as I am a cis female, but I am still 100% acknowledging that non-binary genders exist and that they can face similar or the same experiences. I don't really feel I have the authority to speak on behalf of non-binary genders, so I'm just speaking from what I know personally.


fem·i·nism
ˈfeməˌnizəm/
noun
  1. the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

Feminism is about equality. It's about striving to be on an equal level as men. Essentially, what this means is that men are privileged in most aspects, and they have more advantages compared to women in regards to social, political and economic means. Feminism does NOT dismiss men. It is just more focused on women because, as a collective, women face more disadvantages than men. However saying that, of course men can be feminists too. But, if you are a male feminist, don't speak on behalf of females. Rather, acknowledge the issues faced by females and then further support women.

I think the main catalyst for misunderstandings in relation to what feminism actually is, is radical feminism. Radical feminists aim for women to me socially dominant over men. For me, I don't even regard that as feminism because it's not equality.

Another type of feminism is intersectional feminism. Intersectional feminism had a name put to it in 1989 by a black woman named Kimberle Crenshaw. It refers to the interconnecting and overlapping systems of oppression. Class, race, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, religion and age among many other elements are included. It is important to address these intersections because, to truly liberate all women, we must take into account and fight against the oppression all women face - not just those who are cisgender, white, straight, middle class and able-bodied. HOWEVER, only black women can claim he title of an intersectional feminist, as the notion was created by a black woman for black women. But you can still follow and support the intersectional theory!

So, some of the more 'mainstream' issues faced on a day to day basis such as catcalling, body shaming, objectification, sexual harassment on public transport and the pay gap are often linked to white feminism. Don't get me wrong, these issues faced by myself and other women and girls are completely valid, and oppression is not a competition. But there's also so much more to this, and that's when intersectional feminism comes into play. We need to include all other factors, not just gender.

The final thing I'm going to be talking about is something I shouldn't even be wasting words on, and that is 'meninism'. According to Urban Dictionary - such a reliable source, I know -, 'meninism' is a mockery of feminism, and proves women cannot request equality without men making everything about themselves. Basically, the men who choose to call themselves 'meninists' are afraid that feminism will damage their oh so fragile masculinity. They think feminism completely disregards their problems, which it doesn't, it's about equality. Bye if you're a 'meninist'.

see the rest of blogmas here

now playing: cherry bomb the runaways (I mean, obviously)

8 comments :

  1. This is a very well thought out, and didactic post. I actually learned a lot, so thank you! As it happens to be, I've always been skeptical of feminism. Everyone I know has always told me that my views are very much of the feminist element, but I've always been hesitant to call myself a feminist due to the radical behaviors of the people you mentioned above. things like the pay gap, and female objectification anger me greatly, and its something that we all should definitely be fighting for. Even men. However, I differ in some views because I honestly don't think that cat calling and body shaming is completely a man's fault. Yes, I understand, someone can be disgusting and treat you horribly even if your were covered head to toe in a trash bag, but sometimes, I do believe that we bring on that behavior to ourselves, and there is something we can do, as women, to help tone down that behavior. So I guess I don't know what to call myself, but in any case, this was honestly one of the best posts Ive read tonight! so thank you!

    https://cynicalduchess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I guess it depends on the situation.. But I'm so happy you enjoyed the post! x

      Delete
  2. I agree so much with you, this post highlights exactly what so many people don't seem to understand, the actual definition of feminism. In a world of labels it has all been clouded by the shouting to be heard. Radical feminists want to feel superior, and that's wrong. Men should all stand up for the rights of women, in fact they should stand up for the rights of another human being, because that is what we are all are, humans.
    I agree that the objectification of our body, must stop, because be the age of 12, young girls are experiencing this. I suppose we all just have to stick together and push for the change, that shouldn't need to happen.
    Such a great thoughtful post!

    Hannah x
    http://abitofspring.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES PREACH, I'm saving objectification and body 'ideals' for a whole other post.Thank you very much <3

      Delete
  3. Wow, this post has hit the nail on the head by actually defining what feminism is, debunking any stereotypes and going into the different 'types' of feminism- good job! I don't want to ramble on but WELL DONE, I genuinely love this post and it can prove so useful to those who are unfamiliar/uneducated with the 'true' meaning of this movement.
    Dalal
    monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalal that means so much - thank you! x

      Delete