Back to Top

no inspiration?

4.7.15



Running a blog is hard. Harder than it looks. It's hard to maintain it, stay motivated, post regularly, and most importantly, think up new content. Until a few weeks ago, I was in a major creative rut ( or writer's block ). I had at least 5 posts planned, I'd written them all out, taken the photos, scheduled them.. Then nothing. Nothing! My mind just went blank. It's very possible that it was because I had a million things on my mind or because I'd been staring at a screen for too long. Either way, it's frustrating, and hard to get out of. 


Get up and walk around. You've probably been sitting in that exact place for two hours, and you really need to clear your mind. Go for a walk down your street, around your local park, or just stretch your legs in your room. As long as you get away from the screen for a while, you'll sit back down in a whole new mindset.

If inspiration isn't naturally coming to you, go out and find it! Go to an art gallery, go to a flower shop - find inspiration in the world around you! If you're in school and an art studio is available, consider spending some time there. If you can't leave your desk, click around your favourite blogs. I love scrolling through websites like Glamour, Vogue, and Business of Fashion. Sometimes I just look around my room and I'll see a good opportunity for a picture, a product I never considered writing about, a painting, a chapter in a book, etc.


This doesn't always work, but consider taking any ideas you've written down before and developing them. If you messily jotted down something about a smoothie, make it, take some pictures and start planning how the post would look like on paper. I often see things in a different perspective when they're written out in front of me.

Make something! Blast out some music you wouldn't normally listen to, put on some old clothes and just see what you come up with. Make a collage of nice pictures you've seen floating around, paint, draw, make a hat, whatever!

Finally, just ask someone for their opinion! I ask friends who I've met through blogging, and they always come up with incredible ideas. You could ask a little kid what they think, and you'd be surprised, trust me! It's always helpful to get different peoples' views and opinions.

If you're ever in a creative rut, the most important thing is to not pressure yourself. You'll gradually feel inspired again, and it's the best feeling when you are!

24 comments :

  1. I literally have the same problem, others have about 10 pre-written posts and I have zero! I've had writers block for about a month ever since my exams have finished! Its awful but Im hoping to go shopping and to a art gallery with Dalal where I hope I get some inspiration. Great post!

    Ambra xo fridaysarefab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating :( that sounds really fun! Let me know what it was like when you go!

      Edie x

      Delete
  2. This post is very helpful because this literally happens to me all the time and I just came across your blog and I love it !!! Nice post :) x

    beautydreamcatcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, this made my day :)

      Edie x

      Delete
  3. This is such a helpful post Edie, I've been in this position for a while and I struggle to get out of it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped, let me know how you're getting on!

      Edie x

      Delete
  4. I've had this happen to me before and I think you just have to give it time! I also like to ease myself back into blogging by doing a Day in my life post as they're quite simple but fun to do.
    Dalal xx monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to do that, but I just don't have the patience - I hate having no new content on my blog! Thank you for the tip, I've never done one of those posts :)

      Edie x

      Delete
  5. I think every bloggers been in this situation, it's so difficult and disheartning! But look at you, making a lovely post out of it! Will efinfitely remind myself of this post next time I end up in a rut x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Rebekka, you leave the loveliest comments. I'm so glad I've been of some help!

      Edie x

      Delete
  6. Writers block can be soooo annoying, I usually find that when I have lost motivation and creativity for my blog if I take a small break from blogging it will all come back!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't have the patience for that, and I really don't like not posting for ages :(

      Edie x

      Delete
  7. I've honestly been Iin this rut for what fels like a eternity I love the tips I'm gonna have to try these soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy this helped you! From your content you can't tell, T'erica!

      Edie x

      Delete
  8. I LOVE this post Edie! The photos are absolutely gorgeous and the content of this is just amazing. I've been really lucky not to get writers block for about 6 months now but I know this will be helpful to me when I do get stuck in that rut again!

    Bx
    beccaemilyx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Becca! This is so kind seeing as you're incredible at photography.. That's really fortunate, but I'm so happy I'm feeling inspired again :)

    Edie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had a struggle with blog post Idea's, Until very recently. There's been a few posts I've written, posted them and then deleted them because I didn't feel that they were good enough and didn't feel like they should be on my blog. Though I feel like a lot of bloggers go through this and I'm starting to get some inspiration again. I guess every one has a writers block don't they? x http://coffeeatmidnight13.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that :( but happy to hear you're feeling inspired again!

      Edie x

      Delete
  11. Your bed looks so comfy, I love all the pictures in this post! And just the post itself, it's really useful, I've never thought of asking a little kid before!x
    Libby-Jade

    ReplyDelete
  12. i feel like this a lot and it's really frustrating, i'm actually planning a huge revamp soon so i'm hoping that will give me a fresh outlook :)

    danielle | avec danielle | instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's annoying.. sounds exciting! Though I love your blog as it is :)

      Edie x

      Delete
  13. I feel like this to, thank you for the tips it has a helped a lot xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad I helped :)

      Edie x

      Delete