Back to Top

the cut-outs

29.9.14


The Parakeet and The Mermaid


Blue Nude ll


The Creole Dancer



Icarus

'creativity takes courage' - Henri Matisse
A while ago now, my mum asked me if there were any art exhibitions I wanted to go and see. Fan-girling and screaming, I answered Henri Matisse, The Cut-Outs. So off we went to the Tate Modern. Matisse's work, for the last 17 years of his life, was cutting out different shapes from coloured paper and using them to create some really beautiful and unique pieces. A lot of his best art, he originally did on his walls at home. The exhibition was split up into 13 rooms, and each was more intriguing than the last, and it really showed how Matisse's art had developed through the years. There was a whole circus themed section, and I think this is where the bold colours really started to show. My favourite piece out of this section is called the Creole Dancer, and I think it's gorgeous with the silhouette filled in and the movement that is captured. The exhibition was so fantastic I got the book at the little gift shop ( I swear it weighs 2 tonnes ).

now playing: around town the kooks/just couldn't tie me down the black keys/blame it on me george ezra

No comments :

Post a Comment