Back to Top

The 'Alternative Icon'

7.11.16









Advanced Style

"If people try to look like me they'll look ridiculous. They should think about who they are and learn how to think for themselves. Everybody today is like a robot, and I don't want to be part of that. It's about what you like and makes you comfortable. What makes me comfortable, may make you feel very icky so what's the sense of that? If you can't be yourself then just forget it." - Iris Apfel

In a world where the fashion industry is youth obsessed, this has been brewing for a while. I don't know what it is but I suddenly find myself very intrigued and gaining style inspiration from the older generation. I've always said I wanted to be a cool grandma, who knew that'd be at 14?

For me, it all started when it was announced Jessica Lange was going to be the new face of Marc Jacobs back in 2014. Being a die hard American Horror Story fan, this was the best news in the world. Then older women and men started appearing more and more in editorials and campaigns and it was just fab. I mean, everyone knows Iris Apfel. A 94 year old interior designer and business woman totally embracing fashion as art and making us all strive to be able to pull off those glasses.

I just feel that most of the time, clothes though of as 'cool' and 'trendy' are marketed to young women and men, who a lot of the time, especially if it's a top designer, can't afford what's being put out there. I find it vey inspiring that people who strive for change and diversity don't always conform to stereotypes. Let me know what you think.

now playing: apple tree erykah badu/before kiddos bath dumbo gets mad/no cars go arcade fire/the moment tame impala/elephant tame impala

6 comments :

  1. she is just amazing! I totally agree with you and honestly haven’t thought about this issue properly but tots agree!

    Ambra xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Iris, she's so cool, I definitely aspire to be as cool as her when I'm that age ha! Yep totally agree with you, fashion is focused on the younger generation way too much, we should take inspiration from the older gen as well!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally don't think I follow any trends, unless comfort is classed as one. Iris is adorable and so badass haha
    Dalal
    monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete