Back to Top

An Interview With Jamie Windust

12.2.17



All photos are from the amazing Ben Pechey!

When did you start getting into fashion, and why do you love it?

I started getting into fashion around 13/14 and at that age just loved the drama of it all and the fact that it just seemed so extravagant and extra. I've never really been into designing so it was more a love of the passion and the creativity that flows through the industry.

Can you briefly discuss your style 'evolution'?

My style evolution has evolved through my social process of also learning to live in a world where I reject gender norms and gendered constructs to just be able to wear/thrive doing whatever I choose to do. I am still in a process of feeling comfortable to be able to wear certain clothes out and about, and to really break down the internal barriers i have with 'femme' and 'masc' clothing, but I just try and live in an authentic and progressive way, and this is shown very strongly through my style.




What's your life philosophy?

My life philosophy is to just try your fucking best. I live by a lot of little mantra's to be honest. Be authentic, be yourself, don't listen to people who don't positively impact your life. Just to be yourself really and to not put your effort into caring  about things that don't push you further as a person, no matter how hard it can be.

What makes you happy?

What makes me happy is seeing other people being authentic and themselves  in a capacity where they are really able to just thrive. I love seeing people do what they love and what they were born to do, whether that be personally or in their career, it just makes me happy to see other people happy. Personal progress with my fashion/gender identity/mind evolution also makes me happy. If i can expand my mind and try and encompass things that i've not thought about before then that makes me happy.



What's the best thing about blogging, and how has it affected your life?

The best thing about blogging for me is just being able to vent and extend my thoughts through my fingers and to actually not even have people read it, but to just be able to know that i've done that, and be happy with what i've put out there. It's amazing when people let me know that my work has helped them in whatever process they've been through, and it's something that I aim to do through my work - to create and spark conversation, whether it be good or not.

What are your current inspirations?

My current inspirations are myself and my journey and the ups and downs that i've been through. It sounds arrogant but if i can look back on things that i've done and be like "i did that, and i'm here now" then I will utilise that strength that I had to improve and inspire myself to get back on track/get things done if i'm in a difficult time. I'm a big believer of taking time out for yourself and if that means turning your phone off for a day and just having a day to yourself, then so be it. Self preservation whilst still being selfless is key.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

In 10 years I see myself in the creative fashion business industry, however I don't like to pigeon hole myself so I don't have a particular place i'd love to be, however as long as i'm doing something that i love and I'm surrounded by people that I adore then I will be happy. 

Jamie is a 19 year old fashion management and marketing student, who blogs on Leopardprintelephant about fashion, lifestyle, LGBTQIA+, society and politics. It is clear from his hilarious snapchat stories to his thoughts, perspectives and daily looks on his instagram that he is genuine, passionate, and free-spirited. If you ever find somebody more chic - clue, you won't - let me know.

3 comments :

  1. lovee this, such fab photos too x
    www.lexiealexandra.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're stunning aren't they, I love the yellow! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. TDC HingesBrass is a classic and durable finish that works well with traditional and vintage-inspired homes. It develops a natural patina over time, adding character and charm to your doors.

    ReplyDelete